Postgame Notes And Quotes (Mar. 24)
• The Avalanche’s penalty killing unit killed off 20 consecutive penalties prior to Mason Raymond’s power-play goal tonight…That run of 20 straight kills was the club’s longest streak of the season.
• Chris Higgins tied his season high with two goals, including the overtime winner…Tonight marked his second multi-goal game of the year and first since Oct. 29 against Washington.
• Jamie McGinn scored his 20th goal of the season, reaching the 20-goal mark for the first time in his NHL career…Eight of his 20 goals have come as a member of the Avalanche, where he has 12 points (8g/4a) in 13 games…He had 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points in 61 games with San Jose prior to the trade.
• Colorado’s other recent acquisition, Steve Downie, has 13 points (2g/11a) in 16 games since joining the Avalanche.
• The Avalanche scored two power-play goals for the first time since Dec. 15 at San Jose.
• Colorado’s six power-play opportunities tonight were the club’s most since Dec. 26 at Minnesota (1-for-7).
• Semyon Varlamov picked up his first assist of the season and second of his NHL career…His other was Oct. 22, 2009 at Atlanta as a member of the Capitals…Varly’s assist tonight was the first by an Avalanche goaltender in 2011-12.
• Gabriel Landeskog now has 254 shots this season, the most by an NHL rookie since 2005-06 (Alex Ovechkin 425 and Sidney Crosby 278)…Landeskog’s 254 shots are already a franchise rookie record, surpassing the previous mark of 232 set by Peter Stastny in 1980-81.
• Landeskog notched his 22nd goal of the season, tops among rookies…He also leads all rookies with 48 points.
Colorado Center Ryan O’Reilly
On The End Of The Game: “We played well in the third period; it was a little back-and-forth. In overtime, it was just a quick little turnover and he buried it. That is what teams thrive on. Make a mistake and capitalize on it. That is what they did tonight. We have to get over it, move on, and get ready for this road trip.”
On The Playoff Picture: “It is tough. We know that other teams have a couple games in hand on us. We don’t know how it is going to play out. For us, it has to be shift-by-shift every game. We can’t control if we make the playoffs, we can control how we play each game. We just have to stay focused on that and get ready for the next game.”
Colorado Left Wing Gabriel Landeskog
On The Canucks: “They are a tough team to put away. When they get one, they get two. They are a good team.”
On What The Team Can Take From The Game: “We have to take the positives. We got a point. I thought we had a pretty good start. We came out flying and playing great as always. We had a good first period and we have to take that with us. Unfortunately, we couldn’t put a few more pucks in the net.”
Vancouver Left Wing Chris Higgins
On The Overtime Goal: “He found me in the slot and it probably wasn’t the prettiest one, but I got it on net and it went in.”
On Mason Raymond’s Goal: “It was a big goal by Mason. He came through with a big goal and sparked our team. If he keeps playing like that down the stretch, that will be a big help for us.”