Avalanche Farm Report - April 3
After splitting four games last week, the Albany River Rats are tied with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers for the fourth and final playoff spot in the East Division with seven games remaining. The River Rats (34-33-6) beat Syracuse 8-6 on Wednesday, March 28 and defeated Norfolk 5-3 on March 31. The team lost 5-1 to Manchester on Friday, March 30 and 4-2 to Bridgeport on April 1. The Arizona Sundogs split their first playoff games against the Corpus Christi Rayz. The Sundogs lost 4-3 on Friday, March 30, but rebounded to win 3-2 on Saturday.
- Matt Murley scored two goals and had an assist to earn second star of the game honors in the River Rats' 8-6 win over Syracuse on Wednesday. Murley also had two assists in Albany's 5-3 win over Norfolk and scored a goal in the team's loss to Bridgeport.
- Cody McLeod scored Albany's only goal in the team's 5-1 loss to Manchester on Friday. He also added a goal in the River Rats' 5-3 victory on Saturday.
- Goaltender Tyler Weiman was named the second star of the game after stopping 36 shots in Albany's 5-3 win over Norfolk.
- Mike Wall made 27 saves to help Arizona beat Corpus Christi 3-2 on Saturday.
- Chris Stewart scored two goals and had two assists in Kingston's only playoff win, a 8-2 victory over Oshawa on March 29. Stewart also scored both of the Frontenacs' goals in a 4-2 loss to Oshawa on Friday, which eliminated the team from the OHL playoffs. The Avalanche signed Stewart to a three-year, entry level contract on Tuesday, April 3.
- Saginaw Spirit defenseman Nigel Williams scored a goal in Saginaw's 5-3 loss to Sault Ste. Marie on Wednesday and added a goal in the Spirit's 7-1 victory on Friday. Saginaw lost the first-round playoff series to Sault Ste. Marie in six games.
- Codey Burki had two assists in Brandon's 7-3 win over Prince Albert on March 29 an added a goal in the Wheat Kings' 4-2 series-clinching win over Prince Albert to advance to the WHL Eastern Conference Semi-finals.
- Chris Durand had an assist on the overtime game-winning goal in Prince George's series-clinching 4-3 win over Kamloops on Wednesday. Durand and the Cougars will face Everett in the second round of playoff action beginning Friday, April 6.
- Goaltender Ian Keserich stopped 28 shots in Tri-City's 7-2 win over Indiana on Friday, March 30.
- Michigan forward T.J. Hensick was named an Inside College Hockey First-Team All-American.
- Dartmouth junior David Jones was named to the 2007 New England Hockey Writers Division I Men's All-Star team. Jones also earned ECAC All-Academic honors.
- Brett Hemingway signed an amateur tryout contract with the Colorado Avalanche. Hemingway will report to the Albany River Rats.
- Cornell senior Mark McCutcheon will compete in the 2007 Frozen Four Skills Challenge on Friday, April 6, in St. Louis as part of the NCAA Frozen Four festivities.