Avalanche Farm Report - March 20
The Albany River Rats won two games and lost one last week to move into the fourth and final playoff position in the East Division. The River Rats (32-29-5) beat Bridgeport 4-1 on Wednesday, March 14, and defeated Binghamton 3-2 on Friday, March 16. Albany fell 4-3 to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Sunday. The Arizona Sundogs clinched a playoff berth after winning two games and losing one last week. The Sundogs (31-28-2) beat Lubbock 5-1 on Wednesday, March 14, and clinched a playoff spot with a 5-2 win over Corpus Christi on Friday. The victory was Arizona's eighth-straight at home. The Sundogs dropped their final game of the week 4-1 to Corpus Christi on Saturday, March 17.
- Arizona goaltender Mike Wall became just the third goaltender in CHL history to score a goal with an empty-net tally in the Sundogs' 5-2 win over Corpus Christi on Friday. He also made 18 saves and earned first star of the game honors.
- Matt Murley scored a goal and had an assist in each of Albany three games last weekend. He was named second star of the game in all three contests.
- Albany goaltender Tyler Weiman stopped 34 of 35 shots in the River Rats' 4-1 victory over Bridgeport on March 14. Weiman made 25 saves in Albany's 3-2 win on Friday.
- T.J. Hensick scored a goal and had two assists in the Wolverines' 5-2 win over Michigan State in the CCHA semi-finals on March 16. He also had an assist on Michigan's only goal in the CCHA Championship Game, a 2-1 loss to Notre Dame on March 17. Hensick was named a finalist for the 2007 Hobey Baker Memorial Award, which honors the nation's top collegiate player.
- Michigan goaltender Billy Sauer stopped 18 shots and earned second star of the game honors in the CCHA semi-finals. He also stopped 35 shots in the Wolverine's 2-1 loss to Notre Dame in the CCHA Final on Saturday. Sauer, Hensick and the Wolverines will play North Dakota in the first round of the NCAA playoffs in the West Regional, held at the Pepsi Center this weekend. Face-off is set for 5:30 p.m. (MDT).
- Dartmouth junior David Jones had an assist in each of Dartmouth's losses in the ECAC playoffs last weekend. Jones was named one of ten finalists for the 2007 Hobey Baker award, the first-ever finalist from Dartmouth.
- Brandon Yip scored a goal in Boston University's 6-2 loss to Boston College in the Hockey East semi-finals on Saturday, March 17. Yip and the Terriers take on Michigan State in the first round of the NCAA playoffs next weekend at the Midwest Regional in Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Codey Burki scored two goals and had two assists in Brandon's 9-5 win over Regina on March 16. The Wheat Kings will face Prince Albert in the first round of WHL playoffs, beginning March 23.
- Saginaw Spirit defenseman Nigel Williams scored a goal in the Spirit's 4-3 overtime win over Sarnia on Friday and had two assists in the team's 7-3 victory over Windsor on Sunday. Williams and the Spirit will face Sault Ste. Marie in the first round of OHL playoffs beginning March 23.
- Mike Carman, Ryan Stoa, Derek Peltier helped the Minnesota Golden Gophers win the WCHA title on Saturday. Minnesota will head to the Pepsi Center for the first round of NCAA playoffs, facing Air Force on Saturday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m. (MDT).