Avalanche Farm Report - Feb. 27
The Albany River Rats won two games and lost one last weekend to improve to 26-25-4. The River Rats lost 2-1 to Bridgeport on Tuesday, Feb. 20, but rebounded to beat the Sound Tigers 4-3 on Friday, Feb. 23. Albany finished the weekend with a 4-3 shootout win over Portland. The Arizona Sundogs won three games last weekend to conclude a 6-0 homestand. The Sundogs (26-24-1) beat Rio Grande Valley 5-4 on Tuesday before taking on the Colorado Eagles for a weekend series. Arizona won 3-2 on Friday and completed the sweep with a 4-3 victory on Saturday, Feb. 24.
- Albany forwards Dan DaSilva and Antti Laaksonen each scored one goal and had an assist in the River Rats' 4-3 victory over Bridgeport on Friday. DaSilva was named the second star of the game.
- Goaltender Tyler Weiman made 29 saves through overtime before shutting down all five Portland attempts in the shootout to help Albany to a 4-3 shootout win over the Pirates on Satuday.
- Arizona forward Ryan Steeves had two assists in the Sundogs' 5-4 win over Rio Grande Valley on Feb. 20. Teammate David Svagrovsky earned second star of the game honors on Friday, Feb. 23 after contributing a goal in Arizona's 3-2 win over the Colorado Eagles.
- Sundogs goaltender Kris Mayotte stopped 32 of 35 shots to earn third star of the game honors in Arizona's 4-3 victory over the Eagles on Saturday, his fifth straight win.
- After missing the past 30 games with a broken right leg, University of Denver senior J.D. Corbin scored the game-winning goal in overtime to beat the North Dakota 4-3 on Friday, Feb. 23. Corbin was named the first star of the game.
- Ray Macias had a goal in each of Kamloops' three losses last week. Macias, who currently carries a four-game goal streak, leads the WHL in plus/minus with a +32 rating and leads all defensemen with 64 points (26 goals and 38 assists) in 62 games. Macias is ranked 20th in overall WHL scoring.
- Michigan senior T.J. Hensick scored a goal and an assist to earn third star of the game in the Wolverines' 4-3 win over Ohio State on Feb. 23. Hensick moved into fourth place on Michigan's career assists list with his helper, the 139th of his collegiate career. Hensick also contributed an assist in Michigan's 6-5 loss to Ohio State on Saturday, Feb. 24, giving him a career high 56 points this season. Hensick captured the CCHA scoring title with 42 points (12 goals, 30 assists) in 28 conference games, and is second in NCAA scoring with 56 points (17 goals, 39 assists) in 36 games.
- Minnesota freshman Mike Carman was named WCHA Rookie of the Week following the Golden Gophers' sweep of Colorado College on Feb. 16 - 17. He scored two goals, including the game-winner, on Feb. 17.
- Chris Stewart scored the game-winning goal in Kingston's 3-2 victory over Peterborough on Feb. 22, and scored two goals and was named the first star of the game in the Frontenacs' 4-2 win over Peterborough the following night.
- Dartmouth junior David Jones had three assists and was named the first star of the game in the Big Green's 5-1 win over Cornell on Feb. 23. Jones also had an assist in the team's 3-1 win over Colgate on Feb. 24, helping Dartmouth secure a first-round bye and No. 3 seed in the ECAC playoffs.
- Victor Oreskovich scored a goal in Kitchener's 4-3 shootout loss to London on Feb. 20 and added a power play goal in the Rangers' 5-4 win over Erie on Feb. 25.
- Ohio State junior Tom Fritsche had two assists in the Buckeyes' 4-3 loss to Michigan on Feb. 23 and added an assist the following night to help the Buckeyes to a 6-5 win over the Wolverines.
- Brett Hemingway contributed two assists in New Hampshire's 6-4 win over Providence on Feb. 23.
- Michigan goaltender Billy Sauer made 35 saves in the Wolverines' 4-3 win over Ohio State on Friday.
- Mark McCutcheon scored Cornell's lone goal in a 3-1 loss to Harvard on Feb. 24.