Avalanche Farm Report - Feb. 20
The Albany River Rats won two games against East Division rivals last week to improve to 24-24-4. On Friday, Feb. 16, the River Rats beat the division-leading Norfolk Admirals 7-3. Albany kept momentum with a 3-1 win over the Hershey Bears on Saturday. The Arizona Sundogs moved into the sixth CHL playoff spot last week with three wins. The Sundogs (23-24-1) beat the Amarillo Gorillas 7-5 on Wednesday, Feb. 14 before sweeping a weekend series against Odessa, winning 6-2 on both Friday and Saturday.
- Albany forwards Dan DaSilva and Antti Laaksonen each scored two goals and had an assist in the River Rats' 7-3 victory over Norfolk. Cody McCormick (2 goals) and Matt Murley (3 assists) also had multiple efforts. Laaksonen and Murley each scored a goal to help the River Rats beat Hershey 3-1 on Saturday.
- Goaltender Tyler Weiman faced a total of 63 shots over the two games with 59 saves.
- Arizona forward Ryan Steeves scored a goal and had three assists to earn third star of the game honors in the Sundogs' 7-5 win over Amarillo. Steeves also contributed an assist in Friday's game and two helpers on Saturday for seven points in three games.
- Boston University sophomore Brandon Yip returned to action on Friday after missing five games with an ankle injury. He scored two goals, including the game winner, in the Terriers' 4-2 victory over New Hampshire. Yip also added an assist in Boston's 3-3 tie against the Wildcats on Saturday.
- Mike Carman scored two goals and was named the first star of the game in Minnesota's 3-2 win over Colorado College on Feb. 17. Teammate Ryan Stoa scored the Gopher's other goal.
- Ray Macias scored a power play goal and was named second star of the game in Kamloops' 4-3 loss to Spokane on Feb. 14, and scored a goal and earned star of the game honors in the team's 4-3 loss to Calgary on Feb. 18. Macias leads the WHL in plus/minus with a +30 ranking and is tied for the scoring lead among defensemen with 61 points (23 goals, 38 assists).
- Michigan goaltender Billy Sauer stopped 35 shots to help the Wolverines to a 3-1 victory over Lake Superior State on Feb. 18. Teammate T.J. Hensick scored two goals and was named first star of the game. Hensick leads the NCAA in assists with 37 and is second in scoring with 53 points in 34 games.
- Cornell senior Mark McCutcheon scored two goals and added an assist in the Big Red's 8-4 win over Princeton on Feb. 17.
- Dartmouth junior David Jones scored a goal and had two assists to earn first star of the game honors in the team's 4-3 win over Brown on Feb. 16.
- Goaltender Ian Keserich made 28 saves to help Tri-City to a 2-1 win over Green Bay on Feb. 16.
- Codey Burki scored a goal and had an assist in Brandon's 6-3 win over the Swift Current Broncos on Feb. 13. Burki also added an assist in the team's 5-4 shootout win over Saskatoon on Wednesday, Feb. 14.
- University of Miami sophomore Justin Mercier had two assists in a 7-3 win over Robert Morris on Feb. 15. Mercier also scored a goal in Miami's 5-3 win over Robert Morris on Feb. 17.
- London Knights defenseman Kevin Montgomery had two assists in the Knights' 5-4 overtime win over Windsor on Feb. 16. Montgomery was also named the third star of the game in London's 5-2 win over Kingston on Feb. 17.