Avalanche Farm Report - Jan. 23
The Albany River Rats won two of three games last week, improving to 20-20-3. The River Rats beat Norfolk 3-2 on Wednesday, Jan. 17 and lost 6-2 to Syracuse on Jan. 19. Albany finished the week with a 4-1 victory over the Philadelphia Phantoms on Saturday, Jan. 20. The Arizona Sundogs lost 3-1 to the Colorado Eagles on Friday, Jan. 19 before splitting a home series against Lubbock. The Sundogs lost 6-4 to the Cotton Kings on Saturday, Jan. 20, but rebounded to beat the team 6-5 on Sunday.
· Cody McLeod had a hat-trick and was the first star of the game to lead Albany to a 4-1 victory over Philadelphia.
· Tyler Weiman stopped 37 shots and was named the second star of the game in the River Rats' 3-2 win over Norfolk on Wednesday. Defenseman Mitch Love scored his first goal of the season in the victory.
· Arizona Sundogs forward Ryan Steeves had two goals and an assist in the team's 6-5 win over Lubbock on Sunday.
· Kingston Frontenacs forward Chris Stewart was selected to represent the Eastern Conference in the OHL All-Star Game, to be held Jan. 31 in Saginaw, Mich. Stewart had a goal in a 4-1 win over Brampton on Friday and two assists in a 4-2 win over Ottawa on Sunday.
· University of Michigan goaltender Billy Sauer earned CCHA Goaltender of the Week honors for the second time this season on Jan. 15. Sauer had 29 saves and was named second star of the game in helping the Wolverines to a 6-2 victory over Alaska on Friday. Sauer also stopped 32 shots in Michigan's 5-2 win over Alaska the following day.
· Kamloops Blazers defenseman Ray Macias, who had an assist in the Blazers' 5-2 win over Lethbridge on Jan. 21, leads all WHL defensemen in scoring with 50 points (18 goals, 32 assists) in 47 games
· Chris Durand scored the game-winning goal and had an assist in the Prince George Cougars' 3-2 win over Kelowna on Jan. 16. Durand was named the first star of the game.
· Dartmouth junior David Jones had a goal in each of the Big Green's three wins last week. Jones, who leads Dartmouth in goals (12), assists (14) and points (26), also added an assist in the team's 4-3 win over Sacred Heart on Jan. 20.
· Codey Burki was named the first star of the game after scoring two goals and adding an assist in Brandon's 5-2 win over Moose Jaw on Jan. 17.
· T.J. Hensick scored his first career hat-trick in Michigan's 6-2 win over Alaska on Jan. 19 and was named the first star of the game. Hensick leads the NCAA in assists (31) and assists per game (1.19) and ranks second in points per game (1.58).
· Victor Oreskovich had five points in three games last week, including a goal and two assists in Kitchener's 5-4 win over Sarnia on Jan. 18.
· Nigel Williams had two assists in Saginaw's 6-5 win over the Sudbury Wolves on Jan. 19 and scored a goal in the team's 4-3 loss to Barrie on Jan. 20.
· Minnesota freshman Mike Carman had two assists in the Gophers' 5-4 win over Denver on Jan. 20.
· University of Miami (Ohio) sophomore Justin Mercier had two assists in the team's 4-4 tie against Ohio State on Friday, Jan. 19.