Avalanche Farm Report - Oct. 24, 2006
The Colorado Avalanche's CHL affiliate, the Arizona Sundogs, opened their inaugural season with a 6-3 victory at home over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Friday, Oct. 20. The Sundogs split the weekend series against the Killer Bees, losing 2-1 on Saturday, Oct. 21. The Avalanche's AHL affiliate, the Albany River Rats (3-3-0), won their third straight game with a 3-2 shootout victory over the Peoria Rivermen (4-3-1) on Wednesday, Oct. 18. Albany lost its next two games to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (5-1-0), 6-3 on Friday and 3-0 on Saturday.
- Ryan Steeves, a forward for the Arizona Sundogs, scored two goals in the Sundogs' 6-3 victory on Friday and the sole goal for Arizona in Saturday's 2-1 loss to the Killer Bees.
- River Rats' forward Matt Murley scored the deciding goal in Albany's 3-2 shootout victory over Peoria on Oct. 18. Murley also scored a goal in regulation.
- Brandon Wheat Kings' forward and Avalanche second-round draft pick Codey Burki earned second star of the game honors for his four-point effort in Brandon's 9-5 victory over Lethbridge on Oct. 20. Burki scored a power play goal and had three assists. Burki also scored two power play goals in the Wheat Kings' 4-1 win over Kootenay on Saturday, Oct. 21. The Winnipeg native ranks fifth in WHL scoring and second on the Wheat Kings with 11 goals and nine assists in 13 games.
- Kitchener Rangers' forward Victor Oreskovich scored two power play goals and had an assist in two games last weekend. Oreskovich ranks second in team scoring with five goals and seven assists in 12 games, and four of his five goals have been on the power play.
- With five goals and five assists in 11 games, Kamloops defenseman Ray Macias ranks ninth in scoring among all WHL defenseman. Macias scored a goal in Kamloops' 8-5 win over Saskatoon on Oct. 20.
- Chris Stewart, a forward for the Kingston Frontenacs, assisted on a short-handed goal in Kingston's 8-4 loss to Ottawa on Oct. 20. Stewart also scored a goal in the Frontenacs' 5-2 loss to Sault Ste. Marie on Sunday, Oct. 22.
- The University of Minnesota beat Ohio State in two weekend games, winning 7-2 on Friday, Oct. 20 and 6-3 on Saturday, Oct. 21. All three Avalanche prospects playing for Minnesota scored points in Friday's game. Freshman Michael Carman scored a goal and had two assists, sophomore Ryan Stoa scored a goal and junior Derek Peltier added an assist. Stoa also scored a goal and had an assist in Saturday's game for three points over the weekend.
- University of Michigan senior T.J. Hensick had an assist in both of Michigan's games against Miami (Ohio) on Thursday, Oct. 19 and Friday, Oct. 20. Hensick has scored at least one point in each of Michigan's four regular season games.
- Miami (Ohio) University's Justin Mercier scored a goal in the team's 6-3 loss to Michigan on Oct. 19.
- Brett Hemingway, a senior at the University of New Hampshire, had one assist in New Hampshire's 4-3 win over Colorado College on Friday, Oct. 20 and contributed two assists the following night as New Hampshire beat Colorado 7-2.