Avalanche Farm Report, Oct. 17
The Albany River Rats, Colorado's AHL affiliate, won their home opener 3-2 over the Hamilton Bulldogs (1-2-0) on Saturday, Oct. 14 at Pepsi Arena. The River Rats improved to 2-1-0. The Avalanche's CHL affiliate, the Arizona Sundogs, opened preseason play with back-to-back overtime wins against the Colorado Eagles in Loveland, Colo. The Sundogs won 5-4 on Friday, Oct. 13, and 3-2 on Saturday, Oct. 14.
- T.J. Hensick, an assistant captain for the University of Michigan, scored two goals and an assist in the Wolverines' 8-1 victory Friday against Alabama-Huntsville. Hensick also scored a short-handed goal and had an assist in Michigan's 7-5 win over Connecticut on Saturday, Oct. 14.
- Kyle Cumiskey, Jeff Finger and Ben Guite all had assists in Albany's home opener on Saturday.
- The Sundogs' Michael Vernace logged two assists over the weekend in Arizona's preseason games.
- The University of Minnesota swept Wayne State in its home-opening weekend, winning 7-1 on Friday and 5-1 Saturday. Freshman Michael Carman had two assists in Friday's victory, and sophomore Ryan Stoa scored a goal in each game.
- Sophomore Justin Mercier scored a goal for Miami (Ohio) in Friday's 5-1 victory over Canisius and added an assist in Saturday's 3-1 effort.
- Boston University sophomore Brandon Yip scored the Terriers' first goal of the season in BU's 4-4 tie Saturday against Rensselaer.
- Ray Macias scored a goal and an assist in Kamloops' 6-3 loss to Red Deer on Saturday. Macias leads Kamloops blueliners and ranks 8th among WHL defensemen with four goals and five assists in nine games.
- Forward Codey Burki scored a short-handed goal in the Brandon Wheat Kings' 6-2 victory over Prince Albert Sunday. Burki moved up to 9th in WHL scoring with eight goals and six assists in 11 games.
- Kitchener's Victor Oreskovich scored a power play goal in a 3-2 loss to Windsor on Thursday, Oct. 12. Oreskovich ranks second in scoring for the Rangers with three goals and six assists in 10 games.