Avs Community Fund Awards $525,000 To Local Charities
The 4th cycle grant theme is "Health and Well-Being" and grants are awarded to non-profit organizations with programs that promote the physical, psychological, and social well-being of people with disabilities, provide health services for underserved children and families and/or provide intervention or prevention for abused and neglected children and families. The 4th cycle grant recipients include:
Programs that promote the physical, psychological, and social well-being of people with disabilities
· Craig Hospital Children's Friendship Program - to provide therapeutic activities, services, equipment, education and care for young patients who are afflicted with spinal cord injuries or traumatic brain injuries.
Programs that provide health & education services for underserved children and families
· The Children's Hospital - to improve the health of children in the Rocky Mountain Region with coordinated programs of patient care, education, research and advocacy for an average of over 350,000 children each year.
· Colorado AIDS Project - to provide services, education, and basic life services for aide and empowerment for people affected with HIV / AIDS.
· Denver Public Schools / Denver Prep League- to continue to provide quality after-school sports activities for more than 17,000 middle-school students in DPS. Program consists of 10 sports and includes 22 schools.
· Denver Museum of Nature and Science Health Outreach Programs - to support the Bicycle Helmet Safety Programs in schools throughout Colorado.
· Project Angel Heart- to help provide food and compassion to those battling life-threatening illness in Denver and Colorado Springs.
· Young Americans Center for Financial Education - to support school-based, financial literacy and basic economic education for low-income youth in the metro area.
Programs that provide intervention and/or prevention for abused and neglected children and families
· Advocates for Children - to provide advocacy services for more than 675 abused and neglected children in Arapahoe County.
· Denver Children's Advocacy Center - to provide counseling, treatment services and assessment and forensic interviews for children who have been sexually abused or traumatized by witnessing homicide, violent crime or severe domestic violence.
· Parenting Place Family Strengthening Program - to support programs that provide intervention and/or prevention for abused and neglected children and families in Boulder, Broomfield and Gilpin Counties.
· Women and Family Crisis Center Outreach Center- to provide counseling and therapeutic services for children in Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln Counties, ages 3-17 years, who have experienced verbal, emotional, sexual and/or physical abuse.
The Colorado Avalanche Community Fund (CACF) supports local and statewide, non-profit organizations that serve the needs of low-income children and families. Funds raised by the CACF are matched by the McCormick Tribune Foundation at a significant percentage increasing the dollar amount available to local worthwhile agencies and their community programs. Since 1995, the CACF has granted millions of dollars to hundreds of non-profit agencies throughout Colorado.